We received the SolarTab solar panel and charger to test out and put into adventure mode. Needless to say, we weren't disappointed. Often our reviews end up being fairly positive, but that is because these companies are blowing it out of the water with their products. These guys are truly no exception to that. Here are our initial thoughts after receiving and unboxing the solar panel for testing.
1. The design is impeccable and thoroughly thinks through how you would want to charge a device. Though it didn't appear too rugged, we weren't sure of this would be a downfall or not.
2. The design was very similar to an iPad, which is neat because it fits everywhere an iPad would. It is also easy to carry and simple to setup.
3. The side battery light functionality was a welcome innovation and we really liked how the "on", "off" functionality worked easily and quickly.
4. The charger was simple and easy to use and there were two USB ports on the side of the solar charger. How convenient!
We really like this gear at first look and looked forward to putting to the actual test beyond the look-see test. It is a bit less "rugged" than we expected, but that wasn't about to stop us from testing it thoroughly.
After we tested we had some further evaluations that we shared below. Please consider these as you seek to purchase the best solar setup for your needs!
1. The specs we loved: we loved that the tab was 5.5 Watt and had 13,000 mAh capacity. We were able to charge our GoPro, phones and iPad off of the power bank multiple times each!
2. Another aspect of the panel that we really loved was that it is an all inclusive unit. Many units out there have two pieces where you need the panel and a battery as well. The Solar Tab is both of those in one and really offers a great amount of flexibility and ease of use by doing both. In addition to this flexibility having the charge, cord makes it nice to start out with a full charge on your trip.
3. The panel is really built to fit in a vast amount of spots. As we mentioned above, the fact that it is the size of an iPad it fits in all spots designed for that. It has an extremely slim profile, allowing it to slip into a backpack without adding too much weight or bulk to the bag.
4. The last notable aspect of this solar panel and charger is how quickly it charges, now this is certainly dependent on sunlight, but it does catch the rays very quickly and charges up easily. We had a great experience on our trips to Florida and Maine without much need for recharging.
Overall, this solar panel offers an incredible amount of flexibility and usability and we rate it 5 out of 5 on the explorer gear rating. We don't hand out a 5 too often. But this combo panel is a prime example of quality.
Go check it out here and learn more!